A Gentle Drizzle @Amethyst, Chennai

These days I make it a point that whenever I am in town/namma ooru, I will message a few of my friends who are interested in a rendez-vous and have the time to meet up despite their busy schedules. So once again I was able to meet Mrs. G. Somebody from whom I have learnt so much during the early nineties as much as she has from me as I had taught one of her children. We did a great deal of comparing notes with each milestone.

Ours was never a teacher-student's parent kind of relationship. It transcended boundaries that benefitted both of us in a myriad ways. We had to part ways when I had shifted to the capital to join the Mister and we had to change tracks and get on with the art of rearing our children and equipping them to be ready and responsible for the world.

Now, that our children are all so grown up and islands of their own...somehow we were able to reconnect and have memorable meet ups over delicious vegetarian food.

I usually leave it to her/my companions to choose the venue or food and I tag along. This time she suggested Amethyst. I had heard about this place several times and even read mixed reviews on a few food related groups some time back. I did want to try this place and was elated to have. Looks like I brought the rains along with me from God's Own country cause just as we were seated, the outdoors veranda café received such a lovely downpour. An expat or two even shifted tables from the indoors  to witness the lovely showers outdoors.

A gorgeous and spacious old colonial house, more than 150 years converted to this expansive restaurant. This is located sort of diagonally opposite to the rear car parking area of Satyam Theatres, Whites Road with ample car parking space. We walk into this Haveli kinda path which also houses a boutique (expensive) a florist's, exhibition area and the garden café.

The coffee shop does attract an expat audience and several good looking men and women-very elite in appearance!

My experience was enjoyable. I thoroughly enjoyed the food we had ordered and the conversations that we had. I also felt the pricing was decent with the kind of crowd that was pouring in considering its grandeur and location (right in the heart of the city a bit off Anna Salai/Mount Road)

Spinach with goat cheese crepe. It was served as four simple crepes overpowering with the aroma of that cheese. And one could enjoy them in that rust orange sauce. Felt like having more but had to keep my table manners intact!
 Two tall glasses of fresh orange juice to drown those lovely spinach filled rolled crepes.

 A vegetarian pizza to remind us that smoked and grilled aubergines are a nice add-on on flat pizza bases.
A view of their cosy dessert section. I am such a plain Jane when it comes to baking. Mine are naked bakes! I avoid the drips,sauces, buttercreams, those sinful drizzles when I bake but I love ogling at those that others prepare but definitely abhor fondant! Oh YUCK!

 Loved some of those wicker furniture. As the place was jam-packed I didn't get a chance to click the outdoors or other tables with too many groups of people around. I was already getting upset and cursing those dreadful selfies from the adjacent tables in which I am positive my butt, tummy(giving me no chance to suck it in) or even a profile is there. One can't even be seated peacefully in the cinema theatres or in the seats allotted to us in the flights these days owing to these selfies. Damn those smart phones!!!
Breathless!
The average meal along (with a dessert as well) between us was around 750 plus. The sprawling and sweeping outdoors may have mosquitoes. Nice venue to go and enjoy some "me time" "alone time" kind of work outdoors with the birds chirping or simply sit and read a book. One could even consider having lunch or dinner after the movie at Satyam over here.

The cuisine seems Italian/Continental and they do have a curated menu.
Until next time. Au revoir Chennai!

Comments

Popular Posts