Vatta Meen Curry


The day I realized I lost all the pics I took with this fish, my life stood still. I have no clue what happened and why I played around with my camera phone that day...but I lost precious pics. Fortunately, I remembered that I had shared this pic with a friend to tease her buds and retrieved just this one picture. She had drooled over the pic and almost wanted to adopt our Santha Chechi(as my kids call her) who prepared this delicacy

My youngest sibling had arranged this fish when my husband and I visited my hometown last hols. He was on his break from the US and when he knew that we were coming down, he played my late father's role.Whenever we kids used to call and come home, Pa knew each of our weaknesses when it came to our favourites. I always got my crabs and prawns as I am allergic to fish.

 But this time around as we were there for a short while, my sibling had arranged this dish for my husband. they get along really well and share the most healthy conversations.

 Our dearest Santha (our long time help on call) was arranged and she made this beautiful and tasty dish. Stay Tuned-to be continued for Santha Chechi's recipe :-

Been a bit under the weather since the rains began. I have been sneezing all night and this morning, hence had to take this short break to make myself a bowl of hot soup and some chicken momos for my little imp who is home for a while. So let's get back to the recipe...

Clean the fish (a kilo) with salt and vinegar. Cut it to the desired size.

In the desired sauce pan, add enough coconut oil to saute  finely ground ginger and garlic and  curry leaves. Once they brown, add to it 3 1/2 tbsp, of chilly powder and very less turmeric powder. If used the same day, add a bit of coriander powder as well along with 1/2 a tsp. of fenugreek powder. Santha says that coriander tends to spoil the fish dish if it has to be kept for another day. I hope she is right, I really would't know.

Once the masalas/spice powder change to the desired colour, add enough water along with two or three pieces of Kokum/Tamarind/Kodumpuli and let the water boil. As it boils, slowly slide in the cleaned and cut theVatta fish, stir them about and let the burner be on a simmering heat. Allow the fish to cook gently in its own juices, the spices and the tangy Kokum water. Taste in between and add salt accordingly.


After nearly ten minutes on a simmering flame and heat, the fish is done. I am indebted to Santha for sharing her wisdom and recipe. I go back to my sneezing and rubbing my nose.

Aaaaaaaitchoooo!!!!! Pa's kind gestures live through his kids for sure! We do carry it forward!

Comments

  1. What a delicious and informative post thank you so much for sharing this post. It is really helpful and it is easy to understand what are you trying to explain. I would like to suggest your website to more people. To be honest you should have to be appreciated for what you are doing. Lots of love from me.
    Also if you have a bit of time then, read my recipes at Food Recipes and suggest to me how to improve them.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts