Basil Cream Sauce

I was really lucky to get some fresh Basil the other day from a store near by. The aroma was too inviting!

I wanted to just get back home and create something with it that would last me a lifetime!!! Well that's a bit of an exaggeration though...but something that would go in a few sides or along with a main dish.

The first thing I did once I got back home with this packet, was to rinse the dirt off it and pluck them from their stems and set them to drain in a colander. Once drained, I blanched them and set them aside again.

In a saucepan, I added in a tbsp. of olive oil and sautéed almost 3/4 th of a finely chopped onion along with a sliced clove of garlic. I let them brown a bit. Added the salt and pepper. Once it was cooled, I blended this lightly browned onion garlic mixture along with the blanched basil and a tbsp. of roughly chopped walnuts. If you have pine nuts you may use them instead.

By then the aroma from the blender itself was so beautiful!


 In the same saucepan heat about a cup of milk and as it almost comes to a boil, add in this green blended mixture and let them reduce a bit. Add in chilly flakes, more salt if required and some pepper powder. Taste the mixture as they merge through. If you are happy with the spices, leave it like so otherwise do add to taste.
 As it reduces, pour some fresh cream into the mixture and stir it through. By now you see before you a lovely creamy sauce. This sauce can be used as a spread in your sandwiches, as a sauce over your grilled chicken or fish or merge it with some buttered sautéed mushrooms as I have and prepare a very green dish with it.

 Here is my mushrooms in the creamy green sauce. I love the texture and taste. It is very earthy and green. You may garnish your dish further with some more chilly flakes or a tad bit more cream.
 This green sauce later went into my spaghetti along with some tofu.



 You may be reminded of my pesto which I have done earlier with cilantro. Do keep in mind that one can may lovely Basil pesto with your fresh stock of leaves. Follow the same recipe but use Basil leaves instead of cilantro :- http://potsnpans-peanuts.blogspot.in/2014/08/cilantro-pesto.html

Comments

Popular Posts