Aam Panna (Raw Mangoes with Mint cooler)

With the onset of the summer of 2016 I have been regularly preparing a drink or two for both of us at home. The drink that I would prepare most often would be the usual run of the mill buttermilk or Sambharam which is there in an old post of mine on the blog/facebook page. This time around, I have tried to incorporate both fruits and veggie juices into our routine for the benefit of my readers on my facebook page,The Inconsistent Chef. I have accomplished both preparing and gulping down quite a few on a daily basis
.That's Mango Lassi.


Musk Melon Juice

If the juices don't work out for me owing to my laziness then I would prepare quick refreshing salads. The summer's been pretty harsh on us and it has indeed hit us all hard that it did leave me sun burnt a couple of months back. I have managed to overcome all those hurdles and trying my best to stay indoors unless there is an emergency. Of course my skin isn't as supple as it used to be...realized recently that the greys have started to show on the brows as well...hmmm...ageing gracefully!

I did have a long pending visit both to my paternal home and to my maternal home and I was happy to have driven all the way at our own pace and in our own car. Kerala has such beautiful greenery and roads that wind about and take us to our destination. It is a sight for sore eyes! We have been blessed with all that flora and fauna and do hope man does not trespass or encroach them too much. As I drove through my thoughts also wandered and meandered taking in the sights and sounds of my parents and the places they grew up on.

 None of the homes look the same...the third generation kids are all revamping or have already renovated the old places to keep up with the times. I can't relate much to those homes especially the maternal side. Everything looks gigantic, majestic and soulless!!! Am so elated that my sibling has preserved our paternal side without any frills!

Google Images :)


To deviate a bit, I was so elated to have got a few good souls to help me pick a few mangoes from my hometown with my sibling's permission of course as post my parents' demise, the main house went to him. Came back with mangoes and a few tapioca. I decided I should do something different with them to beat the heat. Remembered this beverage called Aam Panna...I won't get into the finer details of what it is, do google that. I am aware of that drink and have had it from time to time. It does bring in its own nostalgia to those who have grown up drinking these during their childhood  or pelted down raw mangoes and just had them like so or with a dash of salt and a lil bit of chilly powder.

Image courtesy: google


For me it was such bliss recreating and experimenting with this. It is a messy recipe I swear! If you don't want to get down and dirty, then skip doing this on your own or supervise your domestic help assisting you through the process. I rolled up my sleeves and donned my apron and that's how I started the dish.

 A bit of nail art prior to repotting a succulent. Just as am awaiting the nails to grow back...(this is the first time I actually had them cut completely!) am eagerly awaiting this beautiful succulent to grow and bloom in my lil balcony.

Neighbour's Envy!-not our yard but the dr's backyard just adjacent to our home


The green mangoes can be charred over a grill and thrown into an ice bath and then peeled and the pulp squeezed out once cooled OR you may do as I have by pressure cooking the mangoes-I have pressure cooked around four mangoes. Once cooled, I peeled them and removed/squeezed out the pulp from its skin and set aside to go into a blender. You may discard the skin and the seed.
 Into the blender the fleshy pulp of the raw mangoes go in along with sugar to taste (two mangoes along with close to a cup of sugar along and two cups of cold water) I have used four raw mangoes, a tsp. of salt, a tsp. of black salt, cold water, sugar, cumin powder to taste and a handful of fresh mint leaves. All this was blended well. Add ice if desired. Adjust all seasonings and sugar to your desire.
 Strain the drink before serving with more shaved ice. I haven't strained the drink at all. It is such a cool drink and would cool our entire digestive tract and we would crave for more. Always taste before serving, adjust the water, sugar or seasoning accordingly!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aam_panna Do read up on this link for other details especially for those trying out this drink for the first time.

Comments

Popular Posts