Shafuta- A Mint based Yogurt salad

Of late I have this weird or very fancy habit of calling my husband by various other names other than his own. I don't know how creepy that sounds but it's just so cute to watch his reactions. Sometime back I called him "Altaf" followed by something else... I forgot and today it is Tony!!!

Tony with a British accent sounds really weird on him...suddenly he resembled a Bond in a Tuxedo but tooooooooo muscular for the Tux!!! He actually cooperates with the name calling and looks like a little cute stuffed animal in reaction to all my weirdness!!!

Sometime back, en route to the elevator of our apartment I heard him mumbling to himself that he is not getting enough salads!!! Hmmmm..."Why the heck can't you fix your own salad and a bowl for me too Tony?" I mean we have the veggies and that too the crunchy ones...but I admit, I have been a bit lazy at times and would just chop up a few cucumbers or onions and serve most of the time!!!

Tony wants to see a variety of veggies with depth, colours, flavour and loads of crunch!!! As we do go almost every third day to Amma's (when we are in our hometown) where they have nooooooooooooooooooooo salads at all but all coconut based dishes and tasty ones too, Tony's been missing out on his salads!!! I get my share while I chop any of the veggies while cooking, so I get the Raw Deal!!!

So, this was a sort of mint cooler salad with a bit of a twist for Tony. Adapted it from Sheeba Yemeni Kitchen. I love watching her videos! I understand people have this during their fasting days in Yemen. I found it like a huge meal on its own and very cooling both in the tummy and watching Tony scoop it down. Tony did complain that something was a bit overpowering...I must admit I had used a bit of garlic in excess and forgot to squeeze in the lemon juice which I later did.

 The addition of these pink radish were my twist to Sheeba's recipe. She used Yemeni bread and only Pomegranate. I used left over Indian rotis/some bread slices.

Some mint leaves, curd, milk, a green chilly or two, salt, two cloves of garlic and cumin seeds are used. I added in half a white onion too. Do squeeze and keep aside the juice of a lemon too.

Into the blender went in a few ingredients.



 I blended in the mint leaves, cumin seeds, garlic, green chilly like we would do any mint chutney along with salt, curd + milk (almost like a buttermilk consistency)
 In a bit of milk that I set aside I added the rotis first in a random manner. You can layer them if you wish.

 Poured the mint mix into that bowl in which you placed the rotis.
 Stirred it in and added a few leftover bread slices roughly chopped.
 Checked for seasoning and then just before serving, added in the crunchy slices of radish and those rubies of pomegranate!!! Don't forget to add in the lemon juice to balance all those flavours together.
 This is your Shafuta Salad Tony!!! Enjoy...breaking my head over a better name for the next month!!! Until then, It's Tony!


 

Comments

Popular Posts