Haveli-All India Radio, Vazhuthacaud, Thiruvananthapuram

An afternoon I was looking forward to just because I love the company of this couple. I don't need to pretend, be formal or find topics to yap about in their company.

I was a bit upset to get out owing to the heat rashes slowly developing around my neck as a result of the intense summer these days but in their company I know I am comfortable and nothing to be too conscious about. We always try to lunch either at each other's or go out and explore new places as and when time permits especially when their kids are at school.

My friend suggested this place that they had been to and loved the ambiance and food. I am always game to her suggestions because I know she chooses well and feels my pulse for blogging about food and photography. The last when we went out(most of the time we lunch at our homes) with them was at Khazak. You would find it in the other blog I occasionally write on.

This place Haveli closely resembled Khazak at first glance. I felt it kind of paved about in the same manner. But then I guess that's the beauty about these Tharavadu type homes in the capital of God's Own Country. The first thing that hit me is the space, ventilation, greenery and natural light! I do not know whether there is ample car space by its side as it was not visible...rather I did not explore further but we were lucky to get a cosy space right in front of the restaurant on the main road. It is located on the road that houses the AIR (All India Radio), Vazhuthacaud. https://www.facebook.com/haveligroup/

It's a road that we often drive through to be with my in-laws three junctions away but somehow I have never noticed their hoarding as it is tucked quite within. This road leads to DPI junction right in front of the AIR main gate.

Such an impressive venue within both in terms of space and lighting! Kudos to all the greenery that has been nurtured. I believe this is a place that had opened quite recently so let us give them time to grow and reach out.



 I loved this space, I loved the natural colours that contrasted each other.
 A very carefully planned and compiled menu. Whoever chalked it out has a wonderful sense of humour indeed!

 The humour is obvious in their dessert section. We didn't try this section at all but there will always be an encore for sure! Our thalis did have a sweet (Shahi Tukra) so that kind of summed up the meal.
  A few other families did come in while we were there.


 I had gone in for their veg thali which was priced at Rs.180/- A huge bowl of white rice also accompanied this thali which can be easily shared between two.
 The dishes were very tasty, creamy, filling and so apt for an afternoon lunch. I went in for their North Indian Thali. Another ordered a fish thali which was priced a bit on the higher side.
Some Garlic naans were ordered as two of them didn't want thalis. I forgot to click the pics...got too carried away with eating I guess!


 Serving a Navratan Korma to go with the naans in such an exotic manner is something I would rave about and would love to imitate at my table chez moi as well! A huge round of applause to the person behind this beautiful display! The curry was extremely tasty with a bit of sweetness from bits of pineapple.
 Telengana Prawns, Oh Yumm! I think this was the toughest looking and most handsome dish at the table and in our order. I loved the presentation and the taste!

 Priced at Rs. 270/- We all shared it except for my friend who is a vegetarian.
 This space would catch all our eyes. The grandeur in the pics is the simplicity in which they did not adorn it with curtains and kept it like so. We did greedily exploit this space for family pics.
We sat there for quite a long time well past three that we longed for a cup of hot tea...but that was not there in their menu... not yet! But we did long for that over the myriad topics of our conversations that we covered. So I am hoping that a nice cuppa masala tea would be added on in the days to come...
 The salt and pepper shakers had to be captured in my frame. These are cell phone pics hence couldn't bring in a great deal of justice to the place or its beauty. The husband did order a fresh orange juice and he exclaimed that it was truly enjoyable!

What I probably would not have liked were the huge fonts on the walls explaining each palace or fort of the Haveli. It could have been toned down. I was also not too impressed with a few huge paintings on the walls. Then again beauty lies in the eyes of the beholder. But what I did love was this natural painting in the space near the wash area.

I found it pocket friendly with all what the four of us had ordered which also included the bottled water. Our bill was close to Rs.300 per head. Our waiter A was a very friendly and naĂŻve young boy. I did leave him a handsome tip just because every young boy reminds me of my own young sons.
 A wonderful restaurant with very delicious food atleast whatever we had ordered was very tasty and filling. I would certainly go there again or meet up with family or friends if I found a suitable parking space.

Such greys and contrasting colours always capture my eyes! This is the grand entry and exit to the restaurant. I hope the simplicity will be retained and nothing  more would be added to make it gaudy! I hope to revisit this place very soon!

I especially loved those wooden thattumbarams as the ceiling. It reminded me of my paternal home with similar attics. We have continued to retain those despite other alterations to our home.

 

Comments

Popular Posts