1976-Trivandrum

Much of my time the past week and a half was devoted to catching up with a selected few friends and spending some family time with relatives from the husband's side.

One such beautiful outing was with Bina whom I know as a Heritage Consultant and who has done and continues to do remarkable work in conducting and coordinating the heritage walks in Thiruvananthapuram, the capital of Kerala. Ours was a long pending lunch date and am so glad that we both could finally make it.

She suggested a couple of places within a certain radius that was easy for her from her place of work and familiar to me. Although I used to know most of the nooks and corners of this capital for years as a youngster... with age and cooking/having food at home more frequently, I've forgotten some of the landmarks. She literally had to handhold me with the directions...A road that was so within my palms and etched in my brain two decades ago. Indeed the topography has changed, familiar names sound vague and alien to me...this capital has literally had a facelift before my eyes.

She suggested this quaint little place with the outdoor garden café theme which immediately grabbed my attention...She's a regular with her kids here and she felt I would enjoy it as much and I did.

The first thing I did notice was it was  place that drew the younger generation towards it. I noticed many boy-girl gangs and couples enjoying the space and the freedom. So that's a huge thumbs up from me. In a more or less repressed, frustrated and conservative capital with a great deal of moral policing happening, I felt happy for the young hearts that could beat as one and express themselves with all their happy hormones jumping or going haywire in one another's company.

A place so aptly tucked in the middle of the city(GPO road, Pulimoodu Junction) yet pushed to a corner with enough privacy to maintain that garden feel. I loved the songs that were playing in the backdrop as I waited for my companion to join me.



 I have no idea why it is named as 1976 but will update as and when I do. I loved the ambience and have no idea how it seems later in the evenings or at night. I am sure there would be issues with mosquitoes as it is a garden.



 The details in the menu card were really cute and fancy! Some of them would almost remind you of the songs you've heard or things that you have read or come across in your life. I found the pricing decent.

 Spice Girls :)

 My Pina colada was yumm, Bina had a shake. As she had taken the bill away from me, I have no idea what she had ordered. Usually, I blog about my experiences after sometime and then I do go through the receipts that I have kept safely when I do write about it eventually. Well Bina managed to trick me twice by footing the bill.
 Mine was a lovely juicy burger. This is the way it is served along with a few crisps. Pretty stingy with the crisps though. They could serve more in a basket as one would reach for these crisps in the midst of conversations and realize that we've actually downed them before the burgers. So that is a negative.
 The place is famous for its burgers. Almost like an American diner but in an open space.
 We were served on time and didn't have to wait much. Very friendly smiles on the waiters.



 One is served your meal in such baskets. Did notice a few foreigners as well. I am sure they would enjoy the burgers too although this would just be half the actual size of burgers they have in their countries!!!(chuckles to self)
I would definitely go there again. Ideal to hang out with friends or suggest to youngsters. I had a wonderful lunch date as we yapped away about our families, food, travel and our native places.

Comments

Popular Posts