Tutti-Fruti Rice

 This is going to be one of my cutest posts because personally I don't like Tutti Fruit but I have a small stock in one of my compartments in the fridge. I have incorporated them in cakes and buns. I had quite a few that I was left contemplating what else could I do with them as they were vibrant to look at, sweet to taste and easily accessible for anybody.

That's when I realized that I had some left-over rice from the previous day's. Hmmm...if raisins are added to create awesomeness and sweetness, what's wrong with Tutti-Fruti?
 I love how that sounds, I could almost imagine  myself calling a daughter if I had one by that name!Blasphemous! the husband would indeed say!Psst... His mother used to call him by all sorts of cute pet names-"Poochali Vasu" "Ente Thankakudam" ...I love listening to the stories he yarns about his Amma and his childhood and I treasure them.

 Anyway, back to my recipe with Tutti-Fruti.

Do slice some onions finely and brown them in a tbsp. of ghee. Once they are browned, with the help of a slotted spoon extract them and leave them on an absorbent tissue paper. Keep them aside to be used later as a garnish.
In the same pan in which the onions had browned, add a little more ghee and toss in some fresh peas and tutti fruti along with a cardamon or two, a cinnamon stick, two cloves, two finely chopped green chilies for spice and toss them all about. Add two tsp. of garam masala and salt to taste and then throw in the left-over rice. If you prefer to use fresh rice,kindly do so or Basmati rice would be great as well for this recipe. This almost resembles a cheat's version of a biriyani sans the meat and all the spices.
 I have not included any other spices as I wanted the beauty of the colorful tutti fruit to be the main attraction and perhaps a child-friendly recipe. I would suggest this as a kids' lunchbox plan along with a raita or a meat/veg side. Slide in those browned and caramelized onions into the rice and toss them all about such that they merge well. Check for seasoning.
Do leave a few onions as garnish. You can garnish them with a few slit cashew nuts as well. Enjoy!
Please do check for my recipes on raita/curd.

http://potsnpans-peanuts.blogspot.in/2012/12/broccoli-parathas.html 

Comments

Popular Posts