Meat Ball Curry (My Version)

Hey Ma, it's your birthday today but you aren't around :(  but got a lot of your genes in me ma-especially your Never say Never attitude! And of course your patience in the kitchen experimenting with flavors and recipes.
 With this post, I will try to include some of my favorite songs that I've cherished over my life time thus far. Someday, when my sons find time to search for their mama's meat ball curry, they would be easily entertained with the songs that I have actually rote learnt as a a young girl growing up to be a woman. Perhaps, while trying out the following recipes, they would understand me through some of these songs and perhaps cherish them as well. I do hope those of you who are browsing as well would enjoy it the way I did. Play them as you go through the recipe.
My recipe is not as complicated as it looks. Diced onions and tomatoes were sauteed along with three to four dry red chilies along with a few pepper corns, a tbsp. of coriander seeds and two heaps of Eastern Rasam powder. Once this was cooled down, they were blended well in a food processor along with a tbsp of cashew nuts. This is the basic gravy or sauce in which the meat balls would cook.

Store bought meat balls were shallow fried and cooked with a lid on. Later they were taken off the oil and left to drain on absorbent tissue.
Take a deep sauce pan and into it pour in the blended gravy. As it cooks through add salt to taste, a tsp. of Kashmiri red chilly powder. Slide in the fried meat balls and let it merge well with the gravy so as to absorb in the spices. Add water to give it a bit more volume When the cooking process reaches its peak that is the gravy starts to slowly reduce, add in a tsp. or more of garam masala powder and stir well, add in three to four tbsp. of  fresh cream and sprinkle in a tsp. of dry Kasuri methi leaves. I was out of cream hence used coconut milk. Switch off the flame as soon as the cream or coconut milk is added and stirred about.
Your dish is done. Goes well with rotis especially on a rainy day. Whenever I prepare a meat ball curry remember my lil one is home. This was my version. My husband's version is also here http://potsnpans-peanuts.blogspot.in/2012/12/meat-ball-curry.html

Comments

Popular Posts