Jigarthanda-A speciality of Madurai

Jigarthanda

My first experience downing this beauty was worth the wait. I had heard and read so many reviews of the same and always wanted to explore and find a safe and hygienic place to have this. En route to Kalpakkam, on ECR road, Tamil Nadu, I must say I had the privilege of  having an early dinner at Dindigul Thalappakatti.
A captivating photo of Jigarthanda was scrolling on their huge monitors along with pictures of other dishes on their menu. I was lured! I knew I wouldn't make a trip to Madurai which is famous for this drink in the near future hence grabbed this opportunity and both husband and I shared this dessert. Both of us loved it, very subtle flavour and bursting textures in the mouth.
We had been to Madurai years ago but back then I wasn't hook, line and sinker into food. Now I am a true sucker for anything edible. My experience then at Madurai had left a deep impact in our life as a huge bus had nearly killed us as the driver was in a mad rush to god alone knows where? I was behind the wheels of our small cute family car, Maruti 800 and that bugger scraped our car, almost pushed us off the busy town and dashed off.
 Both my husband and I were terribly shaken as our toddlers were both in the back seat playing with their toy soldiers or some other toy figurines. In our shock, we stopped the car, checked on the boys and they just smiled back with those innocent "temporary teeth falling off" smiles and then checked on our other baby, our car-one of our major investments during our struggling days! We stopped for the night and checked into some hotel as it was getting pretty late and the shock did not leave both of us. Since then we both are opposed to driving at night especially long distance and always ensure that we do not risk our own lives in order to get to a certain destination.
I do hope this famous Jigarthanda drink that I had at Dindigul Thalappakatti on ECR was the closest to the original one where the crowd throngs. If not, then I am terribly saddened. Just posting a video where one of my favourite chefs from Kerala has tried and tested the real thing! 

Comments

Popular Posts