My Sunday Lunch

It had been one of the most overwhelming fag end of the year for me with loads happening on the homefront and in my heart. Being such a passionate person whether it is with my students, my own family or around the people/things I love...went through some turmoil in my head.

 I know I can solve several gnawing things when I cook, bake or teach and I did the first two on a massive scale-the perfect motivation being the lovely month of December and the fact that both my cubs were home for the holidays!

Learnt a few tough lessons along the way as the year wound down, very hard to digest for a sincere person and friend like me. But I am glad that all this dawned on me now and not later because a person such as I am, with a lot of integrity and honesty, have now learnt to equip myself to handle worse situations. I feel a lot of relief when I pen down my thoughts as I scribble through my recipes. This dish was a creation out of all the roller coaster emotions that I had within me...a fiery twist to a chicken breast recipe and boy, did I feel good just clicking these.

-#*$^#@^&* off to all those cheeky persons who no longer mean anything to me. All my pent up anger was lashed out on these breasts which I made tender using this meat tenderizer/almost like a mallet. This helps to flatten the chicken breast and cook thorugh easily!
The recipe calls for the juice of a lemon, a few whole spices that includes cinnamon, cloves, star anise and cardamon, a few fennel seeds, pepper corns, green chilies, garlic, ginger which were ground to a nice paste. If you prefer it to be more sweeter, you can add in a handful of shallots...I didn't!


Spices such as chilly powder and turmeric were also added to the chicken when the ground mix was being rubbed into the chicken breasts or when they were used to coat the baby corns.

The fiery red paste was nice and spicy and I must admit I added a bit of tomato red colour to give it this look-which almost resembled the anger I held within my heart.
On  tasting this paste I realized that it was a bit too strong in flavour hence added a bit of tetrapack coconut milk to lighten and give it my Asian twist! Add salt to taste, ensure there is enough to coat the chicken as well as the baby corns.

The above picture is the vegetarain option. The chicken was lightly coated with a whisked egg white before this spice mix was rubbed in. If certain vegetarains prefer egg whites, you may just whisk the egg white into the ground spice mix or you can avoid the egg totally!
The lemon juice, the whole ground spices and the spice powders along with the salt is neatly coated on the chicken and the baby corns and left to marinate in the fridge for the whole day or for more than a day prior to shallow frying or deep frying. I have shallow fried them but do ensure that the chicken gets cooked and fried evenly.
I did glaze the chicken with some honey towards the last part of the frying...I like the hint of sweetness to my chicken breast :) and this helps to kind of caramelize the chicken.

Lunch was late and I had my lunch with some spinach and those corns to go with the chicken. Didn't have any rice along with this, felt good!

Talk about some passionate cooking happening!
As seen in many of my recipes, I do not mention quantities now and then, that's solely because I eyeball my recipes or prefer to use the fingertips with experience,so do apologize for that glaring error as a blogger trying to share a recipe.

But that's how I am!

Enjoy the recipe!

Comments

Popular Posts