Sago Payasam

Had this urge to have Payasam but didn't want to do the usual(with semiya)...I had this pack of left over sago also know as Sabudhana/Chowari/Jowarisi in various regional languages of India. It's made of tapioca :)

Soaked these beautiful pearls for around half an hour and went about doing other odd jobs in ma cuisine. Once soaked and puffed up, drain all the excess water and let it cook in enough water to the consistency of your choice. As it cooks through, add some boiled milk and stir in some sugar to the desired sweetness-I did not use sugar, instead I used condensed milk for the sweetness.
Allowed it to thicken through into a lovely thick mass of sago,milk and condensed milk.

Payasam, to some are preferred nice and warm. I like it a bit chilled. Into my chilled payasam, I added a slice or two of canned apricot and it sure was yumm-breaking from the routine and stereotypes :) I think it would go well with other fruits as well such as musk melon,mango or even the flesh of tender coconut.

You can have it without any fruits as well.You can add a pinch of cardamon powder if you wish, I haven't! Enjoy this easy-peasy recipe!

Comments

Popular Posts