Baba Ganoush



 As is obvious in the pics, take a nice huge egg plant/Aubergine. You can either roast it in a tray in the oven or char it the way I have done on an open flame for about ten minutes. Once it is charred on all sides, allow it to cool so that you can handle it with your bare hands.
 Lightly toast and set aside some sesame seeds(the white seeds on the left side of your screen) and later make a paste of it with sesame oil. If you have Tahini paste you can avoid this"toasting the sesame seeds" step. This paste is important to add to your egg plant.
 Once the egg plant/aubergine is cooled, discard the charred skin. This smoky flavour is important for this dish.You may use a paring knife to scoop the flesh out into your blender.
 Blend the flesh of the aubergine, along with two cloves of garlic,Tahini paste,salt and as it blends in, drizzle in some olive oil which helps to thicken this dip.Once you are about to serve it, sprinkle in some cumin powder, cayenne powder and a nice squeeze of a lime.
 Drizzle in some more olive oil, do taste for the seasoning.You may garnish the dish with finely chopped cilantro.
This was my Saturday brunch. I've just had this lovely puree with strips of bell peppers and a few olives.
 By the time I finished my chores...the husband has already wiped the dish clean. Hmmm...he didn't even bother to ask if I had eaten!!! Grrrr...but am always grateful that I can experiment my food with him-My most favourite guinea pig :)

Enjoy! this is a Lebanese dish had along with Pita breads. I have also made Hummus(an earlier and very popular post) almost on a similar line and texture. These can be made in advance especially if you have an Arabic Theme party,or as appetizers or like me a simple craving for Arabic Food!

This is almost similar to the Indian Bainghan Bartha.
Happy Mother's Day! :)

Comments

Popular Posts